Presented dataset is a part of numerical modelling study focusing on the analysis of sea ice floes size distribution (FSD) influence on the horizontal and vertical structure of convection in the atmosphere. The total area and spatial arrangement of the updrafts indicates that the FSD affects the total moisture content and the values of area averaged turbulent fluxes in the model domain. In fact, while convective updrafts occur in every one of model simulations, their intensity differs with varying FSD due to the changing extent and strength of breeze-like circulation. When the floes are tightly packed in the model domain (simulations with 1000 and 5000 floes) the updrafts are numerous but weaker due to weaker breeze like circulation. In the simulations with smaller floes numbers (Nf =50 and Nf=100) the opposite situation takes place and the updrafts, while covering smaller area, are stronger and thus are the values of total moisture and area averaged heat content for the model domain, as described in Wenta and Herman (2019).
Presented dataset consists of:
- Description of WRF model configuration and the model output post processing (Techinical_details.docx).
- Images of the areas of updraft air motion generated for the following simulations:
- Initialized with wind profile of vertically averaged wind speed of 1.06 m/s (Profile 1), sea ice concentrations (c) of 50%, 70%, 90% and five different FSDs (labelled by the number of the floes present in the model domain) of: Nf=50, Nf=100, Nf=500, Nf=1000, Nf=5000.
- Initialized with wind profile of vertically averaged wind speed of 2.01 m/s (Profile 2), sea ice concentration of of 50%,70%, 90% and five different FSDs (labelled by the number of the floes present in the model domain) of: Nf=50, Nf=100, Nf=500, Nf=1000, Nf=5000.
- Summary of total updrafts coverage for every simulation in a Microsoft Excel format.
- Year of publication:
- Creation date:
- Dataset language:
- Fields of science:
- Physical sciences (Natural sciences)
- Earth and related environmental sciences (Natural sciences)
- 10.34808/fwt2-bs21 open in new tab
- Source of financing:
- Verified by:
- Gdańsk University of Technology
seen 60 times