Phosphorus deposits around the world are rapidly depleting, therefore phosphorus recovery methods are gaining more and more interest both in science and industry. This article presents the main methods of phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge. The described approaches are divided in two groups: phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge and leachate, and recovery of phosphorus from sewage sludge ashes. The latter seems to have more advantages connected with both ecological and economical aspects. The need for development of “no solid waste generation” strategy is becoming more and more urgent. The concept of comprehensive management of all solid residues after what is currently considered the most ecological process of sewage sludge incineration connected with phosphorus recovery based on acidic extraction, is described in the article. Solid residues after phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge ashes by means of acidic extraction can be stabilized with solid residues after sewage sludge incineration exhaust gas treatment. Such an approach may enable production of phosphoric raw material together with stabilized construction material. Advantages and disadvantages of the discussed approaches are given. An analysis of the composition of ashes produced in different sewage sludge treatment plants indicates that the proposed technology could be successfully applied in most of such units, especially because the concentrations of elements such as K, Mg, Na, P are sufficiently high, respectively 1.5 - 12.1 g/kg; 9.9 - 14.9 g/kg; 3.6 - 13,3 g/kg and 7,4 - 99,0 g/kg. However, a phosphorus recovery method should be developed separately for each treatment plant. Only then all comprehensive management methods will be ecologically and economically justified. Analytical methods which could be of use at every step of designing a proper phosphorus recovery process are described.
1 3 3
1 1 6
Web of Science
1 4 0
- artykuł w czasopiśmie wyróżnionym w JCR
- Published in:
JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION
pages 1728 - 1740,
- Publication year:
- Bibliographic description:
- Cieślik B., Konieczka P.: A review of phosphorus recovery methods at various steps of wastewater treatment and sewage sludge management. The concept of “no solid waste generation” and analytical methods// JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION. -Vol. 142, nr. 4 (2017), s.1728-1740
- Digital Object Identifier (open in new tab) 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.116
- Bibliography: test
- Ashley, K., Cordell, D., Mavinic, D., 2011. A brief history of phosphorus: from the philosopher's stone to nutrient recovery and reuse. Chemosphere 84, 737e746. Issue. open in new tab
- Bao, L.-l, et al., 2007. Phosphorus accumulation by bacteria isolated from a continuous-flow two-sludge system. J. Environ. Sci. 19, 391e395. Issue. open in new tab
- Beck, J., Unterberger, S., 2006. The behaviour of phosphorus in the flue gas during the combustion of high-phosphate fuels. Fuel 85, 1541e1549. Issue. open in new tab
- Benisch, M., Baur, R., Britton, A., Oleszkiewicza, J.A., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 1005e1015. Krak ow, s.n.
- Biplob, K.B., et al., 2009. Leaching of phosphorus from incinerated sewage sludge ash by means of acid extraction followed by adsorption on orange waste gel. J. Environ. Sci. 21, 1753e1760. Issue.
- Cie slik, B.M., Konieczka, P., Namie snik, J., 2014. Review of sewage sludge manage- ment: standards, regulations and analytical methods. J. Clean. Prod. 90, 1e15. Issue. open in new tab
- Cordell, D., Drangert, J.-O., White, S., 2009. The story of phosphorus: global food security and food for thought. Glob. Environ. Change 19, 292e305. Issue. open in new tab
- Cordell, D., Rosemarin, A., Schr€ oder, J.J., Smit, A.L., 2011. Towards global phosphorus security: a systems framework for phosphorus recovery and reuse options. Chemosphere 84, 747e758. Issue. open in new tab
- Couto, N., Guedes, P., Ferreira, A.R., Teixeira, M.R., 2015. Electrodialytic process of nanofiltration Concentrates -phosphorus recovery and microcystins removal. Electrochim. Acta 181, 200e207. Issue. open in new tab
- De Lucas, A., Rodriguez, L., Villasenor, J., Fernandez, F.J., 2007. Influence of industrial discharges on the performance and population of a biological nutrient removal process. Biochem. Eng. J. 34, 51e61. Issue. de-Bashan, L.E., Bashan, Y., 2004. Recent advances in removing phosphorus from wastewater and its future use as fertilizer (1997e2003). Water Res. 38, 422e4246. Issue.
- Donatello, S., Cheeseman, C., 2013. Recycling and recovery routes for incinerated sewage sludge ash (ISSA): a review. Waste Manag. 33, 2328e2340. Issue. open in new tab
- Ehbrecht, A., Schuhmann, R., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 1027e1032. Krak ow, s.n.
- Garrido-Baserba, M., et al., 2014. Selecting sewage sludge treatment alternatives in modern wastewater treatment plants using environmental decision support systems. J. Clean. Prod. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.11.021. Issue. open in new tab
- Guedes, P., Couto, N., Ottosen, L.M., Ribeiro, A.B., 2014. Phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge ash through an electrodialytic process. Waste Manag. 34, 886e892. Issue. open in new tab
- Havukainen, J., et al., 2016. Potential of phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge and manure ash by thermochemical treatment. Waste Manag. 49, 221e229. Issue. open in new tab
- Houillon, G., Jolliet, O., 2005. Life cycle assessment of processes for the treatment of wastewater urban sludge: energy and global warming analysis. J. Clean. Prod. 13, 287e299. Issue. open in new tab
- Jaffer, Y., Clark, T.A., Pearce, P., Parsons, S.A., 2002. Potential phosphorus recovery by struvite formation. Water Res. 36, 1834e1842. Issue. open in new tab
- Jordaan, E.M., Ackerman, J., Cicek, N., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 1033e1042. Krak ow, s.n. open in new tab
- Kapagiannidis, A.G., Zafiriadis, I., Aivasidis, A., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 411e422. Krak ow, s.n. open in new tab
- Kataki, S., West, H., Clarke, M., Baruah, D.C., 2016. Phosphorus recovery as struvite: recent concerns for use of seed, alternative Mg source, nitrogen conservation and fertilizer potential. Resour. Conservation Recycl. 107, 142e156. Issue. Lag-Brotons, A., et al., 2014. Sewage sludge compost use in bioenergy production -a case study on the effects on Cynara cardunculus L energy crop. J. Clean. Prod. 79, 32e40. Issue. open in new tab
- Lapa, N., et al., 2007. Chemical and ecotoxicological characterization of ashes ob- tained from sewage sludge combustion in a fluidised-bed reactor. J. Hazard. Mater. 147, 175e183. Issue. open in new tab
- Le Corre, K.S., Valsami-Jones, E., Hobbs, P., Parson, S.A., 2005. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes and Recycle Streams, pp. 1415e1419. Krak ow, s.n. open in new tab
- Lew, B., et al., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 731e738. Krak ow, s.n.
- Li, R., et al., 2014. Transformation of phosphoru during drying and roasting sewage sludge. Waste Manag. 34, 1211e1216. Issue. open in new tab
- Li, R., et al., 2015. Heavy metal removal and speciation transformation through the calcination treatment of phosphorus-enriched sewage sludge ash. J. Hazard. Mater. 283, 423e431. Issue. open in new tab
- Liu, Q., et al., 2011. Life cycle assessment of an industrial symbiosis based on energy recovery from dried sludge and used oil. J. Clean. Prod. 19, 1700e1708. Issue. Nakakubo, T., Tokai, A., Ohno, K., 2012. Comparative assessment of technological systems for recycling sludge and food waste aimed at greenhouse gas emissions reduction and phosphorus recovery. J. Clean. Prod. 32, 157e172. Issue.
- Nowak, B.A.P., Winter, F., 2013. Heavy metal removal from sewage sludge ash and municipal solid waste fly ash d a comparison. Fuel Process. Technol. 105, 195e201. Issue. open in new tab
- Ottosen, L.M., Kirkelund, G.M., Jensen, P.E., 2013. Extracting phosphorous from incinerated sewage sludge ash rich in iron or aluminum. Chemosphere 91, 963e969. Issue. open in new tab
- Pastor, L., Marti, N.A.B., Seco, A., 2008. Sewage sludge management for phosphorus recovery as struvite in EBPR wastewater treatment plants. Bioresour. Technol. 99, 4817e4824. Issue. open in new tab
- Pavsic, P., et al., 2014. Sewage sludge/biomass ash based products for sustainable construction. J. Clean. Prod. 67, 117e124. Issue.
- Pettersson, A., Amand, L.-E., Steenari, B.-M., 2008. Leaching of ashes from co- combustion of sewage sludge and wooddPart I: recovery of phosphorus. Biomass Bioenergy 32, 224e235. Issue. open in new tab
- Rodríguez, N.H., et al., 2013. The effect of using thermally dried sewage sludge as an alternative fuel on Portland cement clinker production. J. Clean. Prod. 52, 94e102. Issue.
- Saktaywin, W., Tsuno, H., Nagare, H., Soyama, T., 2005. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes and Recycle Streams, pp. 705e715. Krak ow, s.n.
- Scherrenberg, S.M., Menkveld, H.W.H., Bechger, M., 2009. Nutrient Management in Wastewater Treatment Processes, pp. 677e685. Krak ow, s.n. open in new tab
- Schütte, T., Niewersch, C., Wintgens, T., Yüce, S., 2015. Phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge by nanofiltration in diafiltration mode. J. Membr. Sci. 480, 74e82. Issue. open in new tab
- Shu, L., Schneide, P., Jegatheesan, V., Johnson, J., 2006. An economic evaluation of phosphorus recovery as struvite from digester supernatant. Bioresour. Technol. 97, 2211e2216. Issue. open in new tab
- Sorensen, B.L., Dall, O.L., Habib, K., 2015. Environmental and resource implications of phosphorus recovery from waste activated sludge. Waste Manag. 45, 391e399. Issue. open in new tab
- Suciu, N.A., Lamastra, L., Trevisan, M., 2015. PAHs content of sewage sludge in Europe and its use as soil fertilizer. Waste Manag. 41, 119e127. Issue. open in new tab
- Takahashi, M., et al., 2001. Technology for recovering phosphorus from incinerated wastewater treatment sludge. Chemosphere 44, 23e29. Issue. open in new tab
- Tan, Z., Lagerkvist, A., 2011. Phosphorus recovery from the biomass ash: a review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 15, 3588e3602. Issue. open in new tab
- Tao, X., Xia, H., 2007. Releasing characteristics of phosphorus and other substances during thermal treatment of excess sludge. J. Environ. Sci. 19, 1153e1158. Issue.
- Tarayre, C., et al., 2016. New perspectives for the design of sustainable bioprocesses for phosphorus recovery from waste. Bioresour. Technol. 206, 264e274. Issue. open in new tab
- Vogel, C., et al., 2014. Chemical state of chromium in sewage sludge ash based phosphorus-fertilisers. Chemosphere 103, 250e255. Issue. open in new tab
- Wachtmeister, A., Kuba, T., Van Loosdrecht, M.C.M., Heijnen, J.J., 1997. A sludge characterization assay for aerobic and denitrifying phosphorus removing sludge. Water Resour. 3, 471e478. Issue. open in new tab
- Weigand, H., et al., 2013. RecoPhos: full-scale fertilizer production from sewage sludge ash. Waste Manag. 33, 540e544. Issue. open in new tab
- Xie, C., et al., 2011. The phosphorus fractions and alkaline phosphatase activities in sludge. Bioresour. Technol. 102, 2455e2461. Issue. open in new tab
- Yuan, Z., Pratt, S., Batstone, D.J., 2012. Phosphorus recovery from wastewater through microbial processes. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 23, 878e883. Issue. open in new tab
- Zhang, L., Ninomiya, Y., 2007. Transformation of phosphorus during combustion of coal and sewage sludge and its contributions to PM10. Proc. Combust. Inst. 31, 2847e2854. Issue. open in new tab
- Zhou, K., Barjenbruch, M., Kabbe, C., Inial, G., Remy, C., 2016. Phosphorus recovery from municipal and fertilizer wastewater: China's potential and perspective. J. Environ. Sci. Issue (in press, Corrected Proof). open in new tab
- Verified by:
- Gdańsk University of Technology
seen 127 times