Nowadays, Green Analytical Chemistry (GAC) idea is of high importance, with impact on the rapid growth in the sample preparation area with special emphasis on sample preparation simplification, miniaturization and automation. Due to the fact that GAC is of high importance today, this study is focused on the evaluation of green sample preparation techniques for organic compounds. It is well known that sample preparation is considered a crucial part of analytical procedures, particularly in samples characterized by complex matrices composition. The parameter of “greenness” is as important as selectivity in order to avoid using harmful organic solvents in sustainable extraction techniques. These solvents can generate hazardous, toxic waste while consuming large resources volume, thus, developing new, eco-friendly and benign solvents which would meet technological and economic demands is perhaps the most popular aspects of Green Chemistry. Some examples of these “green” solvents are given in this work. In addition, several new miniaturized extraction techniques are described. Here you can highlight solid phase microextraction (SPME) and liquid phase microextraction (LPME). However, the best option would be to use direct methods of analysis, where sample preparation is not required. The given study also shows the possibilities and limitations of using Eco-Scale and GAPI tools for the assessment of the green character of selected analytical procedures. Both tools were applied to assess 9 different analytical procedures and both showed similar results presented in a different manner.
Web of Science
LicenseCopyright (2018 Bentham Science Publishers)
- publikacja w in. zagranicznym czasopiśmie naukowym (tylko język obcy)
- Published in:
Current Green Chemistry
pages 168 - 176,
- Publication year:
- Bibliographic description:
- Fabjanowicz M., Kalinowska K., Namieśnik J., Płotka-Wasylka J.. Evaluation of Green Sample Preparation Techniques for Organic Compounds. Current Green Chemistry, 2018, Vol. 5, iss. 3, s.168-176
- Digital Object Identifier (open in new tab) 10.2174/2213346105666181112124629
- Bibliography: test
- J. Płotka-Wasylka, N. Szczepańska, M. de la Guardia, J. Namieśnik, "Miniaturized solid- phase extraction techniques" Trends Anal. Chem.,Vol. 73, pp. 19-38, November 2015. open in new tab
- J. Płotka-Wysylka, M. Tobiszewski, A. M. Sulej, M. Kupska, T. Górecki, J. Namieśnik, "Green Chromatography" J. Chromatogr. A,Vol. 1307, pp. 1-20, September 2013.
- J. Płotka-Wysylka, M. Rutkowska, K. Owczarek, M. Tobiszewski, J. Namieśnik, "Extraction with environmentally friendly solvents" Trends Anal. Chem., Vol. 91, pp. 12-25, June 2017. open in new tab
- K. L. Toews, R. M. Shroll, C. M. Wai, "pH-Defining Equilibrium between Water and Supercritical CO 2 . Influence on SFE of Organics and Metal Chelates" Anal. Chem., Vol. 67, pp. 4040-4043, November 1995. open in new tab
- C. P. Freslake, J. M. Crostjwaite, D. G. Hert, N. V. K. Aki, J. F. Brennecke, "Thermophysical Properties of Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids" J. Chem. Eng. Data, Vol. 49, pp. 954-964, June 2004. open in new tab
- F. Pena-Pereira, M. Tobiszewski, "The Application of Green Solvents in Separation Processes" Elsevier: 2017. open in new tab
- E. A. Souza Silva, S. Risticevic, J. Pawliszyn, "Recent trends in SPME concerning sorbent materials, configurations and in vivo applications" Trends Anal. Chem., Vol. 43, pp. 24-36, February 2013. open in new tab
- B. Rossbach, P. Kegel, S. Letzel, "Application of headspace solid phase dynamic extraction gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (HS-SPDE-GC/MS) for biomonitoring of n-heptane and its metabolites in blood" Toxicol. Lett.,Vol. 210, pp. 232-239, August 2012. open in new tab
- M. Y. Wong, W. R. Cheng, M. H. Liu, W. C. Tian, C. J. Lu, 'A preconcentrator chip employing μ-SPME array coated with in-situ-synthesized carbon adsorbent film for VOCs analysis" Talanta,Vol. 101, pp. 307-313, November 2012. open in new tab
- E. Stanisz, J. Werner, A. Zgoła-Grześkowiak, "Liquid-phase microextraction techniques based on ionic liquids for preconcentration and determination of metals" Trends Anal. Chem., Vol. 61, pp. 54-66, October 2014. open in new tab
- J. Płotka-Wasylka, K. Owczarek, J. Namieśnik, "Modern solutions in the field of microextraction using liquid as a medium of extraction" Trends Anal. Chem.,Vol. 85, pp. 46- 64, December 2016. open in new tab
- H. Liu, P. K. Dasgupta, "A Renewable Liquid Droplet as a Sampler and a Windowless Optical Cell. Automated Sensor for Gaseous Chlorine" Anal. Chem., Vol. 67, pp. 4221-4228, December 1995. open in new tab
- S. A. K. Patel, P. Mehta, U. Sahoo, B. Dhanya, "A single drop micro extraction and future trends" Int. J. Chem. Tech., Vol. 2, pp. 1638-1652, July 2010.
- S. Pedersen-Bjergaard, K. E. Rasmussen, "Electrokinetic migration across artificial liquid membranes: New concept for rapid sample preparation of biological fluids" J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 1109, pp. 183-190, March 2006. open in new tab
- L. Guo, H. K. Lee, "Automated Dispersive Liquid-Liquid Microextraction-Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry" Anal. Chem., Vol. 86, pp. 3743-3749, March 2014. open in new tab
- L. Che-Yi, H. Shang-Da, "Application of liquid-liquid-liquid microextraction and high- performance liquid-chromatography for the determination of sulfonamides in water" Anal. Chimica Acta, Vol. 612, pp. 37-43, March 2008.
- M. Fabjanowicz, J. Płotka-Wasylka, J. Namieśnik, "Detection, identification and determination of resveratrol in wine. Problems and challenges" Trends Anal. Chem., Vol. 103, pp. 21-33, June 2018. open in new tab
- J. Płotka-Wasylka, "A new tool for evaluationof the analytical procedure: Green Analytical Procedure Index" Talanta, Vol. 181, pp. 204-209, May 2018. open in new tab
- M. Papageorgiou, D. Lambropoulou, C. Morrison, J. Namieśnik, J. Płotka-Wasylka, "Direct solid phase microextraction combined with gas chromatography -Mass spectrometry for the determination of biogenic amines in wine" Talanta, Vol. 183, pp. 276-282, June 2018. open in new tab
- J. Płotka-Wasylka, V. Simeonov, J. Namieśnik, "An in situ derivatization -dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction combined with gas-chromatography -mass spectrometry for determining biogenic amines in home-made fermented alcoholic drinks" J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 1453, pp. 10-18, July 2016. open in new tab
- J. L. Ordóñez, R. M. Callejón, A. M. Troncoso, M.C. García-Parrilla, "Evaluation of biogenic amines profile in opened wine bottles: Effect of storage conditions" Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Vol. 63, pp. 139-147, October 2017. open in new tab
- G. Xueping, Y. Daqiang, P. Jingfeng, H. Xialin, "Ionic liquid-based single-drop liquid- phase microextraction combined with high performance liquid chromatography for the determination of sulfonamides in environmental water" J. Sep. Sci.,Vol. 35, pp. 452-458, February 2012.
- T. Yong, L. Jing-Fu, H. Xia-Lin, L. Hong-Cheng, W. Thanh, J. Gui-Bin, "Hollow fiber supported ionic liquid membrane microextraction for determination of sulfonamides in environmental water samples by high-performance liquid chromatograph" J. Chrom., A, Vol. 1216, pp. 6259-6266, August 2009.
- A. de Souza Pinheiro, J. B. de Andrade, "Development, validation and application of a SDME/GC-FID methodology for the multiresidue determination of organophosphate and pyrethroid pesticides in water" Talanta, Vol. 79, pp. 1354-1359, October 2009. open in new tab
- C. K. Zacharis, C. Christophoridis, K. Fytianos, "Vortex-assisted liquid-liquid microextraction combined with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for the determination of organophosphate pesticides in environmental water samples and wines" J. Sep. Sci., Vol. 35, pp. 2422-2429, September 2012. open in new tab
- Y. S. Su, J. F. Jen, "Determination of organophosphorous pesticides in water using in- syringe ultrasound-assisted emulsification and gas chromatography with electron-capture detection" J. Chrom. A, Vol. 1217, pp. 5043-5049, July 2010. open in new tab
- Verified by:
- Gdańsk University of Technology
seen 20 times